Sunday, February 27, 2011

Novel Ideas

I had a really good text-message conversation with That Guy yesterday. This will not bring back feelings for him. Will not. Will not. But, of course, it doesn't help that he told me he no longer wants to be friends with my boyfriend because all I could think after that was Now would be a good time for your girlfriend drop off the face of the earth. I'd dump my bitch for you.

Let's not analyze what kind of person that makes me. Let's also not analyze the fact that I half-ass began a novel loosely based on the situation. I say half-ass because it only takes up five pages in my journal, which might be three typed pages. It's also a very loose basis too, since people die in the story, and the guy who dies (loosely based on my boyfriend) is an asshole who beats his wife (not based on my boyfriend). In fact, I'm pretty sure that That Guy wouldn't recognize the basis of the story at all. He knows about the story, although I haven't let him read it.

I've read one of his stories. It needed a lot of editing, but I liked it. It was transgressive, slightly post-modern, and had this 1920s feel to it to me. He's the only person I've felt comfortable enough to share my own ideas with, and he's the only other person who knows what name I would publish my hypothetical writing under.

I don't know what it says about me to know that my boyfriend's best friend knows a lot of things that my boyfriend himself doesn't know. I just want something good to come from a shitty situation. I feel like novel or short story would be the most I could hope for.

Oh my god. He just sent me a story.

No comments: