Monday, April 18, 2011

What Ifs

I'm a halfass-pretend married woman now. The idea for us to be "in a relationship" on Facebook was spawned by him and my boyfriend in response to his girlfriend's decision to go on vacation in another country. I know it isn't anything more than a prank.

I think it's indicative of major problems when I have better conversations with the guy I'm pretending to be in a relationship with than the guy I'm actually in a relationship with. I don't remember the last time my boyfriend called me to talk versus pocket dialing me. And the last time I called him, I was half asleep. He text messages me all day, and by the time I'd have time for a phone call, there's nothing left to say.

That Guy, however, calls me. Not often, granted, but when we do talk, it's generally for an hour or so. We have better conversations, perhaps because they're infrequent.

What sucks about this situation is that it was entirely possible for me to have met That Guy in a completely different context, one that would permit a relationship (or hell, I'd settle for less) if we both liked each other that way. I met a mutual friend of my boyfriend and That Guy at a dance my first semester here at school. I don't remember meeting her, but she swears she asked me to take a picture of her in her dress. Had I not been too shy and awkward, she and I easily would have become friends. She's currently one of my best friends of all time.

That might have made all the difference. But in life, there are no do-overs. You can only move on.

Which is why I'm dating a guy I can't bring myself to break up with. Pining after his friend, who has a girlfriend. (Something that everyone except for my boyfriend seems to know.) Tangled up in a mess of people whose presence has drastically changed my life for the better.

But they've complicated it so much.

I might have to leave the country just to break up with my boyfriend. Ha.

No comments: