About two years ago, I told myself I would stop buying books until I could read all the books I own that I've never got around to reading. This was a shelf in my room of some thirty books I'd bought or been given but never read. I managed to put a pretty big dent in that collection before I slipped up. It was exam time last year, and I was bored, so I bought a new book. Ever since then, I've been allowing myself to buy books on the cheap, or taking them from the Free Books shelf in the English Department. I'd like to say that this hasn't been a bad habit, but I now have some forty books I haven't read--meaning that I've bought, taken, or been given twenty books that I now have not read.
And I admit I cheated the whole time by telling people which books I wanted whenever they asked for my birthday or Christmas.
Aaaannnnd, now that I have my $17 tax refund from the state, I can't help but to want to buy a few books that I've really wanted to read lately. I could buy each of them on Amazon for less than a dollar, plus shipping. Books I don't think a library would carry such as The Girl Who Couldn't Come.
No comments:
Post a Comment