Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nightswimming

I really enjoy swimming alone at night. It's always something I miss about being home in the summer: swimming in the privacy of my own back yard where I can see the stars. Nightswimming is an easy way to clear my mind, or at least sift through some thoughts.

Tonight I thought about why I'm dreading going back to school. Workload aside, it's because of my social situation. Several of the friends I met at school have already graduated or otherwise transferred out. Some stopped hanging out with me after I changed majors. A that are left are studying abroad this semester.

When I go back to school, not counting my roommates, I can look forward to seeing five people, two that I consider close friends. I've never had a real social circle--most of my friends don't know each other very well, if they've ever met at all--but the prospect seems a bit grim.

And yeah, I know. I need to meet more people.

My roommate situation, though, is probably worse than a lack of close friendships. I haven't exactly tried to contact any of the three girls very much over the summer. A sporadic "Hey, how are you?" text message here. A Facebook post there. But then I tried to call one of them on her birthday. She didn't answer, which wasn't surprising, but she never called me back.

Well, fuck that. That's just rude.

I tried several times over the summer to have my housing assignment changed. I'm under lease to live in the building, but I am not tied to a specific apartment. Each time, I was met with a vague reply about the room not being available. Apparently the girl who was supposed to live there just now decided to opt out of her lease, now that housing assignments are finalized and likely cannot be changed until after the semester begins.

I decided to try one last time to contact my present roommates with a group Facebook message about what to bring to the apartment. If no one replies, I will call res life to see about having my assignment changed pronto.

Living with three people who lack concern and consideration for me, take for granted that I clean the apartment, and make my visitors feel unwelcome is bad for me. Especially when I am deemed rude and inconsiderate for waking up in the middle of the night to get a drink out of the fridge. Or for turning the dishwasher on at 9pm, when most nights no one went to bed until 11.

I'm not even kidding.

It's going to be hard for me to confront them if I do have my assignment changed--especially with the half-assed "What should I bring?" message. But this summer, I've managed a lot for myself. I have...

  1. Ended a bad relationship. It helped that he cheated on me, but still. I'm the one who ended it. And I never once looked back.
  2. Ceased my infatuation with the Ex's best friend, even as the Best Friend maintained a friendship with me and expressed concern for my well-being several times.
  3. Met and pursued an interesting young man that I met. Nothing has come of it other than light flirting at work, but it's something. And you know what? It wasn't the end of the world that he didn't pursue me back.
If I can make that kind of progress, I think I am capable of telling my roommates to shove off.

I did join a dating website for about ten minutes. I thought it was incredibly boring and lame. Then I saw the Ex's profile. I leafed through it. I noticed a fair amount of bullshit on it, but most of it was of the tl;dr variety.

I deleted my vague, picture-less profile immediately. I think I'm worth more than online dating anyway.

1 comment:

SARAHMILLER! said...

Thumbs up for nightswimming! It's one of my favorite things, too, although I like going with other people because I don't like being alone in dark water... Why yes, I am turning 22 this year, not 8.

Your roommate situation sounds terrible. But you're right, if you can handle those other three things this summer, you can definitely handle your roommates. It just sucks when you have to live with them. Good luck!